[Gnumed-devel] Printing forms

From: Ian Haywood
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Printing forms
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 10:14:45 +1100

On Thu, 5 Dec 2002 07:08:09 +1100
Horst Herb <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Wed, 4 Dec 2002 23:26, Paolo Bizzarri wrote:
> > > two areas that need development are form input/printing.
> > > Ian Haywood has started some work on tables for this. This is
> > > a very important task that needs a good solution.
> >
> > I could work on this. Exactly what needs to be done ?
>
> wxPython provides a low level printing framework. We would like a module
> where
> you can say something like "print_at(x,y, string)" where x and y are absolute
> positions in mm on the print medium discounting the print margins.
I have been looking into this. Conversion of logical co-ordinates to physical
is not straightforward. PostScript has a conversion of 720 units to the inch.
On my HP DeskJet 500, this is from the paper edge, but the same PostScript
to a Canon BubbleJet 3000 seems to have a 'hard margin' of about 0.5cm
from the top.

On Windows, you can query the driver for its maximum X and Y, but the docs
don't say this corresponds exactly to the paper edges.

We may need to have a 'calibration' page, printing two dots at logical postions
(1000, 1000) and (2000, 2000), the user takes a ruler and measures their
physical positions from the paper edge, from this the margins and scaling can
be calculated for that printer.

> The next step is than a module that parses an XML file with print
> instructions
> where the end user can position database elements on forms for printing
> purposes
Why XML? It is favour of the month, but seems a bit excessive for what we want.
Also, a change to a form has to be updated to each client.
Alternatively, a few tables in the "gmoffice" service can hold the forms
and queries, shared across the database.

Ian

------
Public key E750652E wwwkeys.pgp.net
Fingerprint 9BF0 67B7 F84F F7EE OC42 C063 28FC BC52 E750 652E