Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Gnumed documentation

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Gnumed documentation
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 13:07:55 +0100

On Tuesday 23 March 2004 12:04, Jim Busser wrote:

> extracted source code commenting
> (on which Hilmar just sent me something).
I had a look and I think it's worth the effort. This could even be shell
scriped and uploaded by a cron job. I have used happy-doc which generrates a
different output. I will set this up on my machine as soon as I can.

> To bed now! Jim
> Actually you are in compliance with Gnumed's motto : 'Gnumed never
sleeps' :-)

> > google search : Gnumed installation
> > returns http://www.gnumed.org/development/installation/home.html
> > -points to cvs which is hard to edit
> > -should point to wiki
> > -possible connection between wiki and sgml ?
> >  <SNIPPED: more questions/ suggestions>
I was the one who thought aloud about moving the manual to the wiki.
Hilmar will probably kill me for that because he put much work into the
sgml-version. I can only speak for myself but I am often far too lazy to
update the manual in cvs not to mention learn more about SGML.
So as long as noone has any serious objections I fail to see why we shouldn't
move the manual to the wiki.

> This is a good question - see my concerns below. I understand SGML can
> be a lot of work to have to manually maintain.
That's why I was hoping that there are some tools to take care of the
interaction between the wiki and SGML (little do I known about this)

> > - we need to get our own mailing-list re documentation
> >  I will ask Horst if he lets us set up the list at his server
>
> Maybe wait a bit to try Savannah's list manager a few more times.
> I am not sure there is a rush - it's only a few people for now.
> I am familiar with and like the mail.gnu.org/archive thus I
> prefer we keep all lists there if we can. If Savannah remains
> broken I wonder can a documentation subgroup make use
> for now of the gnumed-announce list (not otherwise used)
Well I see your point. I would like a separate list to 1st) sort content more
efficiently in my mailboxes (maybe not avery good reason) 2nd) to give people
a chance you are scared of posting to gnumed-devel for whatever reason but
still would like to contribute or share thoughts.

> > I propose we move the user-manual over to the wiki
>
> Hilmar and Ian had been central to these, we should see what they think
Absolutely. Sorry guys.

> > We then work on the above list . Does this make sense ?
>
> Maybe I should not have snipped it, let us see though how much detail
> people want.
>
> > Do we have to merge content before we move stuff
> > Sorry I still have no idea how that wiki thing works
>
> We can merge / move in either order but there is less to move if it is
> done after merging. There is also the need to coordinate, for example I
> disabled some of the old FAQs at Gnumed.org as part of putting the
> newer ones up. Karsten modified the roadmap on  the CVS as part of my
> having migrated it to the wiki. I would not want us to copy the manuals
> to a wiki without removing them (well, stubbing / pointing them to the
> wiki) from the CVS.
>
> My broader thoughts:
>
> I am conscious that Hilmar thought we need not worry about management
> tools, and just create content.
>
> However I am hoping to integrate and update existing content, and I
> would like it to be easy to manipulate and re-deploy whether this be as
> wiki pages, html and/or pdf or other form suited to printing. With the
> small numbers of worker bees that we have, it cannot be a bad thing to
> identify & use tools that reduce work, if that it possible.
Absolutely.

> I am also thinking that once GNUMed is in actual use, it may be helpful
> to be able to call up context-sensitive help. Does any provision yet
> exist, or has been contemplated, in GNUMed for this purpose.
>
> Various whitepapers at gnumed.net have been incorporated into the
> Developer manual but both contain dead links, and I worry in general
> how to watch for and to update these (or more important changes)
> especially when considering that multiple "source" and derivative
> documents may exist.
>
> I wonder if there is an easy way by which we can create content on a
> wiki, and also specify various documents that are to be generated from
> various combinations of wiki pages, update-able either at
> pre-designated intervals and/or on demand. Is it useful to (and can
> anyone) recommend a particular wiki software from which it is known
> documents can most easily be created on an ongoing basis, perhaps in a
> scriptable fashion? I noticed Engelbert had contributed to MoinMoin a
> script at  http://moinmoin.wikiwikiweb.de/UtilityScripts
>
> I came across and wondered of any use of the Lore Document Generation
> Framework "uses a limited subset of XHTML, together with some class
> attributes, as its source format which is viewable directly, so that
> even if Lore is not available the documentation is useful. It currently
> outputs LaTeX and HTML... The Twisted.lore Python package comes with
> every Twisted installation, works on Linux, Win32, Mac, supports Python
> 2.1, 2.2, 2.3 alpha.
> URL http://www.python.org/pycon/papers/lore-slides.html)
I don't have time to check this out right now but I will put it on my
"follow-up" list.

--
Sebastian Hilbert
Leipzig / Germany