Re: [Gnumed-devel] Debate on the AOE/Summary of Encounter

From: Richard Terry
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Debate on the AOE/Summary of Encounter
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2004 08:52:52 +1000

Comments on the Below and the attatched png dump regarding summaries.

We may be getting into semantics here re the AOE. Can you explain again what
you mean by this. I took it to mean a summary of the entire (multiple SOAPS)
of a patient episode, becuase this is what I have used in my clinical notes
for the last 22 years.

My Summary of Encounter (on my paper records) lived in the right hand column
of my progress notes and contained significant info re the consulation. That
way one can scan entire years of consultations very quickly to get the 'FLOW'
of the patients health over a period of time.

I've found this very useful when trying to either elucidate difficult cases
(or to look back where I could have fucked up and made a diagnosis earlier,
for example - my paper could notes look something like this (but I hope not!,
the case is for demo only)

date                notes                                 summary
01/02/2002    bla ba                                vague abdo pains ?cause
10/03/2002   BP script, pain gone
                     anxiety, panic attacks                     Panic Attacks
11/10/2003    vomiting/diarrhoea etc            Gastroenteriitis
12/12/2003      vagues abdo pains, last
                         colonoscopy 12/2002-NAD
                        marital upsets ++ anxiety        Abdo pains/Anxiety
01/02/2004      Rectal bleeding bla bal          >colonoscopy
15/02/2004      Review colonoscopy
                       inoperable rectal carcinoma              Ca Rectum

Here the right hand column serves as a 'memory jogger'. review.
One has the quick info + the more detailed info. In this case perhaps my
judgement that the patients chronic anxiety condition could have been causing
his abdominal pains (as it had for the last 20 years) could have clouded my
judgement and made me miss the Ca Rectum (touch wood this has never
happened).

Even after 20 years, most patients only have half a dozen or more pages unless
they have been extremely complicated.

There is no reason why the gnuMed notes shouldn't be presented in that format.

In my computerised records, I had a text box pop up asking for the summary and
used the popup phrase wheel to present any previous summaries (for any
patient) as the pick list, because obviously many summaries will match (eg
Annual checkup, Anxiety attack, Colonoscopy arranged,  etce tec. See the
attatched png.