Re: [Gnumed-devel] need-to-know change to backend

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] need-to-know change to backend
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2004 15:13:08 +0200

> >- an episode must not necessarily be linked to a health issue
> > - when the link is NULL this means it isn't decided yet
> >   whether that episode of, say, cough is related to any
> >   problem (health issue)
> >
> where should "cough" be put wrt. clin_episode,  clin_narrative.is_rfe =
> true, both?
Well, that depends. The backend cannot know this. The user
must decide and use the frontend tools to persist the
decision. However, it is now possible to name an episode
"cough", treat it once and be done with it. No need for
linking it to any health issue. And no automagic linking to a
"default" health issue that isn't really one.

The ultimate solution, of course, is to not have TEXT fields
in health issue/episode at all but rather have a foreign key
pointing to clin_narrative (or even clin_root_item ?) such
that we can simply say "this narrative item (- of whatever
type it may be -) shall serve as the name for the health
issue/episode". This, however, leads to a cyclic dependancy -
the episode points to a (child of) clin_root_item which in
turn is linked to an episode -- and it better be the same one
which is linking to it ... Short of triggers I know of no way
to ensure that.

That was what I was going to suggest next. What do people
think ?

Karsten
--
GPG key ID E4071346 @ wwwkeys.pgp.net
E167 67FD A291 2BEA 73BD  4537 78B9 A9F9 E407 1346