[Gnumed-devel] Re: mail server

From: David Grant
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Re: mail server
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 19:00:44 -0800

Carlos,

I haven't read the link, but it looks like you're on the right track. Outgoing-only is what we want. Configuring MTAs can be confusing because most of the configuration stuff is for incoming. Outgoing is trivial.

Well if you are in fact on the campus network I don't see why we couldn't send through upf.edu...perhaps the From: address is incorrect as you said. Net::STMP is supposed to be able to guess it, but maybe it "guesses" it by looking at /etc/hostname or something...which in this case would not yield upf.edu.

upf.edu should be our first option, for simplicity, then localhost if that fails.

David

Carlos Moro wrote:

Hi all,

We could try to configure ssmtp  and if not possible consider postfix...
I found some info at: http://www.potentialtech.com/wmoran/outgoing-only.html

Best regars,
carlos

David Grant wrote:

It doesn't work, but you probably noticed that when you created your username on the wiki. Another method is to get sendmail working, or a program which provides a sendmail command wrapper. I use postfix and it is simple and powerful. We don't need a mail server receiving capability just sending capability. I'll emerge postfix if I get a chance. I noticed you have ssmtp already. I tried sstmp once before, and I couldn't get it to work for me. I might need your help getting postfix to work.

--
David J. Grant
http://www.davidgrant.ca:81