Re: [Gnumed-devel] gnumed ideas 0.1 and post-0.1 (was Time for a major r

From: catmat
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] gnumed ideas 0.1 and post-0.1 (was Time for a major re-think in 2005)
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 20:13:00 +1100

Ian Haywood wrote:

J Busser wrote:

have to install and configure Python/wxWindows/GnuMed on every client could remove a **huge** impediment to people **trying** gnumed.

Formerly I've thought that Web clients just aren't that useful, because you have to reload a page to do everything, such as select a drug for example. Even with the fastest server, that's too slow. However this changes with features like Google Suggest (http://www.google.com/webhp?complete=1&hl=en),
essentially the phrasewheel concept in Javascript.

We do have a working Web interface, but it's written in Java,
so we can't share any code between the two clients, which slows development a lot. Syan, are you still actively working on this?

I got the java web client running on Carlos's server, but came up against an access problem
for user any-doc ( wrt to  a sql view on  telephone numbers etc).

If not, is there any interest in a Web client
in Python? The BaseHTTPServer class provides the same features as Java servlets only heaps easier to use.

Maybe, I need to look at BaseHTTPServer. There really is a lot in Struts Framework, and jsp pages, so I'm doubtful it has the *same* features. Need to report back later.

Any outlines/ summaries about how one thinks a web client should call the business layer would
be appreciated.

BTW, was the permission problem with accessing necessary demographic views from user any-doc fixed? (Necessary ,I thought , means names , address, telephone numbers, identity numbers )

Is anyone thinking of writing command line programs that work like unix utilities , to read and update schema in gnumed (using standard input, output , error, or files) ? One could do that first, debug them on the console, and then write web clients/ guis that frontend these commands. You could even have a command line "listener" that blocks and returns output when the postgres server
callsback with a notification.