Re: [Gnumed-devel] language for web frontend to python backend

From: Horst Herb
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] language for web frontend to python backend
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 16:50:43 -0500

On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 16:30, Ian Haywood wrote:
> I think XML-RPCising the whole business layer is a bad idea, as well as
> Karsten's objections, I think it will be too slow, as it means making 20-30
> XML-RPC calls for each web page load.

Not neccessarily - not if you use the XML-RPC "multicall" feature, and not if
you chose function parameters and return values wisely

> Instead I would suggest a "high-level" web-specific server, with 1 function
> exposed to XML-RPC for each web page load. This doesn't return HTML, but
> instead a Python dictionary with all the required fields which the web
> layer templates can use directly. Because the web layer would *just* be a
> templater (IOW the "V" of MVC), PHP under Apache is the best option IMHO,

This is basically how the drugref service is supposed to work - a single "get"
can deliver you anything from a single ATC code to a list of full "consumer
product informations in HTML format".

Horst