[Gnumed-devel] patient searches (was: web frontend/patient singleton)

From: J Busser
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] patient searches (was: web frontend/patient singleton)
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 14:32:44 -0800

At 12:46 PM +0100 1/30/05, Karsten Hilbert wrote:
gmPatient.py... should have been gmPerson.py.
That is the reason why gmPatient.gmPerson is
named like that: it is a person, not a patient. It only
becomes a patient when you start requesting clinical data from
it (eg. after the first request of get_clinical_record()).

I thought the above was being renamed (maybe postponed?) as I still see gmPatient.gmPerson at http://salaam.homeunix.com/~ncq/gnumed/api/

Anyhow, when searching or viewing a list of persons, it is not clear how one would discern whether or not they are patients because whether or not a person is a patient depends on information not contained in identity, name and demographic tables.

Therefore:

- when searching for persons, rather than having to search through two different GUI widgets (depending on the kind of person one is searching for, patient or non-patient), would it be practical to have options within a single widget which either
a) permits the search to be constrained to patients or
b) displays whether the person has had any clinical contact (and if so, maybe some data about that contact such as the most recent date, type, and doctor involved?)

I imagine it will also be slower to have search results that depend on a combination of patient identity and demographic information on the one hand, and some clinical information (such as I suggested above) on the other hand. Yet is that likely to make up most of the searches yes, i.e. the searcher will want that combination of info anyway. Or do we think that performance constraints will cause people to prefer to identify the "likely" correct patient based on identity and demographics, and only then call up the clinical data (and reject if it is not the desired patient).