Re: [Gnumed-devel] getting closer to a version that "makes sense"

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] getting closer to a version that "makes sense"
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2005 14:18:50 +0200

> Only those versions, or those versions or later.
Those or later.

> I have Python 2.4.1 on all my systems.
should work AFAICT

> Will wxPython 2.5.4.1 work?
With some fixing to be done it should, too.

> >>  pyPgSQL 2.4.$latest
>
> Only 2.4 is available as a tarball or zip file from the pyPgSQL
> SourceForge download page. Is that the one you mean?
Yes. Be aware that there is one patch to pyPgSQL in our tree
(gnumed/external-patches/). Descriptions of two more problems
to be aware of (for coders) are there, too. The pyPgSQL people
never answered in any way to my posts on the list about these
things. That's one of the reasons while I eventually intend to
recommend switching to psycopg.

> I ask because teh
> version in CVS has serveral changes, but has not been packaged.
Should work, too.

> Has anyone tested pyPgSQL 2.4 with PostgreSQL 8.01?
Not sure. For one thing it surely does not make any attempt at
using the new on-the-wire protocol that passes parameter
values out of band. Not sure whether it might gain that
functionality simply by linking against a newer libpq.

> Or do I need
> PostgreSQL 7.4? Our testing of pyPgSQL 2.4 with PostgreSQl 8.0 revealed
> a few issues, and we'll be distributing a patch file for pyPgSQL 2.4 to
> fix these with NetEpi
I am highly interested.

> Anyway, the idea is to point at the shared database in the first
> instance, isn't it, so which versions of PostgreSQL to use is irrelevant?
Yes. It is still possible to roll your own database. All the
tools are provided.

> Isn't the version of that determined by the version of wxPython?
At compile time, at least, yes.

Karsten
--
GPG key ID E4071346 @ wwwkeys.pgp.net
E167 67FD A291 2BEA 73BD  4537 78B9 A9F9 E407 1346