Re: [Gnumed-devel] coding systems

From: Richard Terry
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] coding systems
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 14:41:32 +1000

Remember one of the real advantages of   ICPC is that because of linkages of
terms to systems etc, one could type in say:

'dys' and get back:
(term) (system)

 dysuria  Urological
 peptic ulcers , Gastrointestinal
 giardiasis , Gastrointestinal
 gastric ulcer , Gastrointestinal
 Indigestion , Gastrointestinal
 painful urination  , Urological
 amoebic dysentry , Gastrointestinal
 dysentery , Gastrointestinal
 dyspareunia , Female Genital
 dyspepsia , Gastrointestinal
 dyspnoea , Respiratory
 giardia , Gastrointestinal
 infectious diarrhea , Gastrointestinal
 shortness of breath , Respiratory
 stomach ulcer , Gastrointestinal
 travellers diarrhoea , Gastrointestinal
 zollinger ellisons , Gastrointestinal

Note particularly that say 'travellers diarrhoea' doesn't contain 'dys' at
all, it is there becuase of linkages (dysentry).

This is immensly useful in practical terms, especially if linked to a
weighting system on a per doctor basis, and often allows one to select either
a medically descriptive term or a patient-centric term from the same list.

Think about that as well.

Regards

richard