Re: [Gnumed-devel] Idea: DermTool

From: J Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Idea: DermTool
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 20:16:21 -0700

Ian's is a good idea, maybe for post 0.2?

I am just thinking that it starts us down a road that will be needed eventually, to do with decision support.

Booleans, combinations, weighted scales for risk estimations or estimates all become possible. At some point, a templated or even a smarter, more generalizable approach may be of value. I know that for the Palm Pilot there exists a free tool in which medical formulae including risk factors and scoring systems are programmable. I know not its licensing, but could explore.

There exists an open source pilot project called EGADSS that seeks to serve as a repository for, and to host, structured clinical practice guidelines being called to from EMRs. It is early days for that project but perhaps somewhere down the road, if that project and GNUmed begin to mature, convergence will be feasible.