Re: contacts, was: Re: [Gnumed-devel] DrugBrowser nicer piccie

From: Richard Terry
Subject: Re: contacts, was: Re: [Gnumed-devel] DrugBrowser nicer piccie
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2006 14:04:00 +1100

Your comment about the 'tools' is pertinant.

I can program fluently in visual basic, can write screeds of code very
quickly. As I previously have mentioned on this list programs I've written
for one commercial organisation are still in use 10 years later - and were
delivered in beta testing with I think a total of only 4(four) bugs found
during testing - still running on about a 40 macine computer network.

Postgres is only a moderate challenge, because SQL is the same wherever you do
it, I've just got to get myhead around functions/rules/tiggers etc, and it is
not the concepts around these, rather the syntax which trips me up.

Python is somewhat different, not in its constructs such as the ifs, elses,
loops etc, but what I have huge difficulty getting my head around for some
reason is the classes contruct, and when in use with wxPython, how the
'parent', 'self', parameter stuff works. If ever that clicks with me I should
be able to write code very quickly.

Unfortunatley most material on the web assumes a level of knowledge way above
that of the begginer. The begginer examples are so childish, even a begginer
would think so, but they jump totally over basic explanations which are
necessary to understand.

And beleive me, I have spent mega-hours on the web finding tutorials - have
found some which are useful. Progammers with left brains obvioulsy read this
stuff and understand it. After using linux for 7-8 years, I still to this
very day cannot understand a MAN file and the way they describe how to use a
command. However if I see one concete example written down, it makes sense to
me - but of course, a true unix geek will never do that for you, and if they
do, they will only say 'well, you use the command blabla (which in itself
needs multiple parameters which they can understand from the docs, but of
course I can't)

Richard