Re: [Gnumed-devel] Feedback on Menus in GNUmed-client.0.2.8.0.dmg for Ma

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Feedback on Menus in GNUmed-client.0.2.8.0.dmg for Mac OS
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2007 00:02:56 +0100

On Sat, Dec 29, 2007 at 11:25:36PM -0800, James Busser wrote:

> I am writing from my Intel Mac (MacBook OS 10.4.11) and will also go back
> and assess some aspects from my PowerPC Mac --- it did, by the way, benefit
> from 0.2.8.0 meaning the client's main screen became correctly in view and
> made available the patient search field.
:-)

> Help > GNUmed contributors ...
> is it intentional that this window behaves "modally"
yes

> Window > Bring All to Front ... maybe not applicable inside GNUmed... I
> think this functions only within the desktop level of the Mac (called the
> "Finder") serving to "lift" together, into the top layer, all of the
> windows that belong to the Finder desktop manager (Mac OS X permits the
> windows of different applications to overlap and intermingle).
The wxMAC port would be expected to tie together all the
windows belonging to GNUmed such that "Bring All to Front"
can do its thing.

> Knowledge > ifap index (Win) ... does nothing
Well (Win) means "Windows version" (The menu item hint in
the statusbar should say so ?). I'd be mighty suprised, too,
if a Canadian doctor had the MS Windows-only version of a
proprietary German drug database installed on his machine
;-)  Nonetheless, if you did you could use it :)  We can't
reliably detect whether it's installed or not (in order to
grey out the menu item) because it's difficult to prove
Wine-related paths.

> Tools > Snellen chart (as reported yesterday) creates an exception
should be fixed now

> Tools > lock client ... seems not to do anything
removed for now

> Tools > Show Archived documents ... beeps if no patient in context,
intended

> otherwise displays "available documents (most recent on top)" which, for
> Kirk, are a photo listed as (1 page(s), no reference ID found) and two
> "referral report other". Now, when I try to open the "small picture of
> Kirk" I am told that my system does not seem to have a working viewer
> registered for the file type [image/gif] and when I try to open "Perfume
> pagoda river boating"  I am given the same complaint regarding [text/plain;
> charset=us-ascii].
What this means is that GNUmed cannot get the system to tell
it how to display files of said types. I'd be interested in
a debug enabled log file of an attempt to display any such
document.

 TROUBLESHOOTING: the error message references were to
> temporary files located in
>       /Users/djb//.gnumed/tmp/docs/
> for example
>       /Users/djb//.gnumed/tmp/docs/gm-doc_obj-page_1-dep8Le.tmp
GNUmed exports the document pages into such temporary files
for display.

> and in the case of the file reference that contained a .gif I was able to
> copy it to a visible directory and open it with one of the Mac's viewer
> applications (Preview)
How did you open the copy ?

- by simply double-clicking the file
- by opening the context menu on the file and using "open with ..."
- by opening a Mac graphics viewer and loading the file explicitely ?

> however when I did this with one of the references
> to an ascii document and after I changed its extension to .txt the content
> of the file (when viewed by a Mac text reader) said "missing".
Well, the content of the text file really *is* the string
"missing" ;-)

The fact that changing the extension to .txt helped in
opening the file makes me suggest to use a provision we made
for handling documents. See this page:

        http://wiki.gnumed.de/bin/view/Gnumed/ConfigFiles

where it talks about mimetype files.

> So I am
> wondering whether, when running on Mac from a bundled GNUmed application,
> if archived documents get copied from the remote salaam Postgres database
> into some invisible local folder and it is in some cases the .tmp suffix
> that gives a problem but is not the whole explanation?
Yep, might be, and the solution to that is the above
mimetype to extension mapping files.

> Tools > config registry ... unhandled exception
This is being deprecated.

> Correspondence > Write letter ... beeps when no patient is in context. With
> Kirk in context, brings forward a window "Select letter or form template"
> with one template in the list, if selected I next get a handled (?)
> exception: "Missing GNUmed module"... "No module named uno".
Yes, needs OpenOffice.Writer and the Python/Uno bridge for
it to be installed as that is what is used on the template
to generate the letters.

> Correspondence > Manage templates ... permits at least the first level of
> edit access to the templates (I did not drill deeper)
The templates themselves need to be edited in OpenOffice.
Only metadata can be edited from here.

> EMR > Export as > Text document ... permits the desired filename to be
> inputted and (I would guess) a different directory to be selected. Upon
> continuing, an unhandled exception is encountered (No such business
> object...)
I would be interested in a log file.

> EMR > Export as > Medistar format ... no error encountered, however there
> was only minimal content in the resulting file:
>> *MDA*
>> encounter: in surgery 2007-12-29 15:36 - 15:36; RFE: ?; AOE: ?
>> //
>> *MDB*
>> *MDD*
>> *MDT*
Yep, I use this file to transfer data of the current
encounter the EMR of one of the clinics I am working at.
It's a dedicated format.

> EMR > Start new encounter ... made a beep and in the status line said
> "Started a new encounter for active patient" however what does the user do
> with (how to they access) this new encounter?
It is more of an admin type thing and can be useful when
narrative which ended up in one encounter due to user error
needs to be moved to another encounter.

> EMR > Medical history > Medication ... unhandled exception (crashes Python)
> EMR > Medical history >  Allergies ... unhandled exception
> EMR > Medical history > Occupation ... once "called", cannot be dismissed
> GNUmed > External Tools > IFAP command ... unhandled exception (crashes
> Python)
> Office > Appointments ... unhandled exception (crashes Python)

For all those I'd like to see logs. Preferably one each.

> Small (other) suggestions:
>
> Knowledge > medical links (WWW)
>       ... I might suggest change the "(WWW)" to lower case "(www)"
done

> Tools > Report Generator
>       ... how about a Load button to the left of Run that permits to user
> load-in the text of an SQL from a locally-saved file (or from a default
> local server directory) in which these may have been locally saved?

Just drag-and-drop said file onto the query input field :-)

Karsten
--
GPG key ID E4071346 @ wwwkeys.pgp.net
E167 67FD A291 2BEA 73BD  4537 78B9 A9F9 E407 1346