Re: [Gnumed-devel] On Mac OS X, gnumed_server_v8install.log (.txt)

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] On Mac OS X, gnumed_server_v8install.log (.txt)
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2008 23:17:17 +0100

On Thu, Jan 03, 2008 at 02:47:38PM -0800, James Busser wrote:

>>      To proceed, enter your password, or type Ctrl-C to abort.
>

> My first password mistake was to provide the root password when the
> password was needed by sudo (needing my Mac user account pw.) Might it be
> reasonable to add
>       You will need to supply your sudo (or root, if logged in as root)
> password:
This message is printed by the sudo program. We don't have
any control over that. In fact, the Mac message is much
better than the prosaic "Your password please:".

> Does it cause a problem if multiple demographics (or other) "bundles" are
> installed?
No. It is, in fact, intended.

> I noted auditing and notifications are skipped, is that because those are
> not yet ready?
Nope. Doing them before anywhere before the last iteration
would just be a waste of time.

>>      Done bootstrapping: We very likely succeeded.
>>      Dropping obsoleted staging database gnumed_v3 ...
>>      Password:
>>      Sorry, try again.
>>      Password:
>>      Sorry, try again.
>>      Password:
>>      sudo: 2 incorrect password attempts
>

> I did not realize I was being asked my user-account level password, maybe
> without my realizing it "sudo" was being called. Maybe after "Dropping
> obsoleted..." can there be a line
>       You will again need to supply your sudo (or root, if logged in as root)
> password:
Hm, well, this sudo message again isn't very helpful.
However, we cannot change it. We can, of course, add an
additional message. But that message would be redundant if
sudo is configured to not require a password.

I have added

        echo "(you may need to provide the password for ${USER})"

before each sudo call.

> I cannot tell from the failed (sudo: 2 incorrect password attempts) whether
> something was not successfully done.
Probably not. In this case it wouldn't even matter.

> Maybe "staging database gnumed_v3" was
> not dropped?
Might be possible.

> Is it desirable for me (or db admin) to drop such left-over
> tables so that they do not consume useful space or otherwise confuse
> anything?
It wouldn't confuse anything just take up space. All but the
latest database can be dropped.

> Lower I noted the dropdb command seemed not to be found?
>>      sudo: dropdb: command not found
Oh, OK. However, it doesn't influence how GNUmed works but
it takes up space.

> Done bootstrapping: We very likely succeeded.
> MacBook:/Volumes/MacBookHD_1/GNUmed-v8/server/bootstrap djb$
Looks good to me ! I think the bootstrapping worked
properly.

Karsten
--
GPG key ID E4071346 @ wwwkeys.pgp.net
E167 67FD A291 2BEA 73BD  4537 78B9 A9F9 E407 1346