Re: [Gnumed-devel] Lab import (data) matching

From: James Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Lab import (data) matching
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2008 20:25:56 -0800

On 4-Feb-08, at 2:57 PM, Karsten Hilbert wrote:

IF the lab is known to make such mistakes I wouldn't trust their data
to be auto-matched later on eiter. If a particular use case really
calls for keeping around the lab's idea of what name a patient should
bear I'd store it as an external ID of type, say, "lab specific name" including the responsible lab as issuer.

The main situation that we can expect is when a patient is registered in one system using their first name, but in another (e.g. lab) system uses their second or warrior name. It is not necessarily to be considered a "mistake" of the lab.

Both are valid names of the patient, and so maybe we agree the solution is to keep the patient's known (multiple) given names in the first names field, and to allow smart matching to any of these given names, when appropriate. This would obviate the need to create extra identities which, when they would share the same last name, I agree, would be redundant.

The commonest use case for *appropriate* creation of a new identity is when the patient would change their name first outside of GNUmed, for example if they got married or otherwise changed their name legally, and a new message (lab result) came into the praxis before the patient came in to the praxis and got the new identity added, and made into their default, in GNUmed. Think "standing order" for any tests, or the patient getting care somewhere else with a copy sent to their family doctor.