Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: using DVCS

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: using DVCS
Date: Sun, 3 Aug 2008 21:51:43 +0200

On Sun, Aug 03, 2008 at 09:32:55PM +0200, Gour wrote:

> Karsten> I have considered that but the decision was to wait until
> Karsten> Savannah supports something better than CVS and which is in
> Karsten> wide use. Say, subversion.
>
> Subversion?
>
> This is (almost) the same thing as CVS - same centralized paradigm. :-(

Oh, OK, you were going for *de*centralized VCS. I didn't
realize that. Actually, you are right. IF we switch we might
as well think about switching to something that supports
distributed work better. However, switching to subversion
might be a sensible first step because it has a lot of other
advantages over CVS.

BTW, why not use GIT ;-)

> Karsten> Does savannah offer subversion ?
>
> I think so, but I do not think it offers significant improvement to
> switch from CVS to SVN, at least in terms to make contributing more
> easy.
Oh, it offers a lot, like sanely renaming files or deleting
directories ... :-)

I tend to think that as long as the developer base is rather
small it'd be sufficient to use a centralized VCS -- but a
better quality one than CVS.

Karsten
--
GPG key ID E4071346 @ wwwkeys.pgp.net
E167 67FD A291 2BEA 73BD  4537 78B9 A9F9 E407 1346