[Gnumed-devel] GUI abstraction (was Re: A Simple question:)

From: Gour
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] GUI abstraction (was Re: A Simple question:)
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 19:36:57 +0200

>>>>> "Sebastian" == Sebastian Hilbert <address@hidden> writes:

Sebastian> We welcome any effort and will provide mentoring to anyone
Sebastian> willing to do this.

Good.

Sebastian> I agree that pyqt and pygtk have better gui rad tools
Sebastian> available. This is definetly more attractive to potential
Sebastian> developers.

Right. And we want more devs, isn't it?

Sebastian> I would go about this like this (and write history :). Why
Sebastian> don't you learn python through GNUmed and document what you
Sebastian> learn as small youtube videos.  Nothing fancy.

Heh, GNUmed IS the reason why I'm taking the route of learning Python
:-)

Sebastian> First episode could be : Where can I find GNUmed. Where is
Sebastian> the source and where is the Wiki.

I think we can put such things on LP as well.

Sebastian> Second episode could be e.g. what parts is gnumed made of.
Sebastian> python wxpython, postgresql and what layers are there
Sebastian> e.g. database abstraction, gui abstraction.

I agree and some docs for potential developers would be welcome -
i.e. something explaining where one can start, what are
easy/intermediate/advanced tasks etc.

However, for that we need bug-tracker in a good shape.

What do you think about moving the present tickets from Savannah to LP
and start using https://blueprints.launchpad.net/gnumed for the new
features we want - it's, imho, much easier to track them than the present
http://wiki.gnumed.de/bin/view/Gnumed/RoadMap.

Sebastian> We have coded with different guis in mind.

That's nice to hear.

Sebastian> If one is willing to find and adapt to the abstraction layer
Sebastian> than you can have you own gui quickly.

I'll try to do that after becoming more familiar with Python.

Sebastian> I have always been looking for a web interface since most
Sebastian> people know HTML, CSS ans AJAX.

Heh, frankly speaking, I tried several EMR applications and all were
web-based - that's why I find GNUmed interesting considering it's
possible to make much better UI with the desktop than web application.

Sebastian> There are some python bindings availabe so a pythonic
Sebastian> webclient can be written quickly.

I'm leaving that for others, but I'm delighted to hear that GUI
abstraction is present. That will give us opportunity to relatively
quickly come up with the Pygtk mockup ;)

Sebastian> Let me know where you need mentoring

I'll yell when the time arrives, don't worry ;)

Sincerely,
Gour

--

Gour  | Zagreb, Croatia  | GPG key: C6E7162D