Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Development testing on Production (?) servers --

From: Jerzy Luszawski
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Development testing on Production (?) servers -- was 0.3-rc4 released
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 03:23:37 +0200

Tuesday 19 August 2008 02:53:16 Rogerio Luz napisaƂ(a):
> I think it would work, but the VM part is not such a good idea, some times
> the VM does not work properly, has configuration issues and crashes a lot
> more than the real deal...
>
> If the DEVEL database will NEVER interfere with the production one (as
> Karsten suggested) I would think that there would be no problem working with
> both on the same live system.

I see no problem.
Create backup (or schema scripts) of current db. (use pgadmin3 or pg_dump)
Create new db with different name.
Restore data from backup or generate schema in the new database. (use psql \i
command, pgadmin did not work)
Modify gm-from-cvs.conf adding a profile pointing to the new database.

Just checked, and works for me.
Note1: When logging in a message pops up, saying '
 option [lc_messages] = [pl_PL.UTF-8] risks "suboptimal error detection"' -
maybe I created the db with wrong option, I did not pay attention to it.
Note2: I completely don't know why, but with database gnumed_v9 I can leave
'host = " parameter in gm-from-cvs.conf empty, but with new database I must
have 'host= localhost' to be able to log in. Strange.

Jerzy Luszawski