Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: gnumed in Ubuntu

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: gnumed in Ubuntu
Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2009 12:39:43 +0100

On Sun, Jan 04, 2009 at 12:18:51PM +0100, Hilbert, Sebastian wrote:

> > On Sun, Jan 04, 2009 at 10:00:59AM +0100, RKI Andreas wrote:
> > >
> > > http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/debian-med/trunk/packages/gnumed-server/trunk/
> > >debian/gnumed-server_bootstrap?op=file&rev=0&sc=0
> >
> > Note that this will have to be run as "postgres", not "root",
> > to make sure it works on a standard Debian PostgreSQL.
>
> What I had in mind was a (menu-like)(shell) wrapper-script in /usr/bin that
> calls the corresponding script (bootstrap-latest or upgrade_db).

I know. Something very simply done with the
(x/k/qt/gtk)dialog frontend for ncurses/qt/gtk/slang. Those
are interchangeable.

> Karsten told me that if you run as root in a standard debian the script can
> bootstrap without any passowords because it will do the sudo magic itself.

Correct. The script I commented on above was a helper script
run by Debian to catch locale problems very early. The same
check is done during bootstrapping anyways but at a later
stage.

> What I had in mind was that when a user invokes the wrapper script he will be
> prompted for the root password (sudo).

This would happen automatically if the menu wrapper calls:

sudo -u root /usr/bin/gm-bootstrap_server

(or /usr/bin/bootstrap_server could be a wrapper doing this
around /var/lib/gnumed-server/v9/bootstrap/bootstrap-gnumed_server.sh)

Karsten
--
GPG key ID E4071346 @ wwwkeys.pgp.net
E167 67FD A291 2BEA 73BD  4537 78B9 A9F9 E407 1346