Re: [Gnumed-devel] Better-supporting staff and other non-patient persons

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Better-supporting staff and other non-patient persons
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 16:34:50 +0200

> > Usually they would have a SOAP row because narrative would've been
> > imported. Assuming the old record would have been imported as
> > documents
> > only then there would not be any SOAP row, however.
>
> They may not even have documents, if the import was from the billing
> software that had been employed by an otherwise-paper-only records
> office.
I see. In that case probably only demographic details would be imported.

> Maybe this suggests that when importing from billing software, an
> encounter of type
>       legacy billing
> that pertains to the chronologically-most-recent billing be created,
> assigned the same date as the date of service, and a soap row
> attached containing
>       service/visit billed (item) for <diagnostic code system> <value>
> e,g,
>       service/visit billed (310 consultation) for ICD-9 250 diabetes mellitus

That would surely make sense and is IMO the proper approach to
designing an importer !

> which could be in the s (Soap) or maybe o (sOap) row
I would, however, add a single Soap row saying
"billed for care from ... to ..."

All the entries with "visit billed for ..." would get a
category of None/NULL in the soap field which stands for
"administrative" and allows to differentiate clinical
from administrative narrative.

Karsten