Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: web client via pyjamas

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: web client via pyjamas
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2009 17:32:16 +0200

Am Dienstag 07 Juli 2009 16:27:06 schrieb Gour:

> Sebastian> It would be great if you could try to have a good look at how
> Sebastian> well the gui is abstracted and attempt a proof of concept
> Sebastian> implementation of the gnumed gui.
>
> There is interesting thread in pyjamas ml about converting wx app..
>
> See http://groups.google.com/group/pyjamas-dev/t/65cd27c1548c0f2c

Looks to me like you got hooked :-) Would be great to see any proof of concept
port of let's say a simple plugin like the xdt viewer.

I guess it would be a lot of work to start by repacing the whole GNUmed GUI in
one go but you could attempt to make a plugin run by porting as much as
needed.

I have talekd to the pyjamas author a little and it seems it is still not
quite as easy as I have thought. The short version is.

There will never ever be a way to access python direclty inside the browser.
There is a bridge (xpcom if I am right) to rewrite the application to talk to
python for database access and stuff but there is no way to access psycopg2 or
PIL or any of these modules directly from within the browser. So from my
limited knowledge I would say that one has to write some more bridging code to
feed any data from the database to the browser.

Sebastian