Re: [Gnumed-devel] Problem running net install attempting re-bootstrap

From: Jim Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Problem running net install attempting re-bootstrap
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 17:16:25 -0700

On 27-Jul-09, at 12:30 AM, Karsten Hilbert wrote (in reply to my):

as I had already downloaded the v11 (database) rc4 I went into its

../server/bootstrap area and, as sudo, tried running the net install

script which failed.

It should be run as a normal user, not as root.

Also, given that I am running it with sudo, I noticed and wondered

what is the purpose of

    .gnumed/server-installation

as evidenced by the line

   [/home/jbusser/.gnumed/server-installation]

...where the result (had it not failed) was going to be a

set of databases accessible to the whole machine,

No. The result would be in the standard PG installation.

Would it not be normal to deny normal users to have the ability to install system-wide software on the machine? I could understand if normal user can be permitted to install the GNUmed client but I had come to understand (maybe incorrectly) that by convention the capacity (privileges) to install system-wide should require root or sudo. Or -- maybe -- the reasoning is that the normal user is not installing postgres, the user is *mainly* installing a particular database (set of tables) inside postgres and provided this user knows what is needed (as per pg_hba.conf and postgres.conf) then they should be allowed? Even though this normal user is also installing other files in root level subdirectories?