Re: [Gnumed-devel] FYI

From: Jim Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] FYI
Date: Fri, 04 Sep 2009 13:14:12 -0700

On 4-Sep-09, at 11:20 AM, Sebastian Hilbert wrote:

http://www.mindby.com/2009/9/What-Did-the-Open-Source-Product-Manager-say-to-
the-Traditional-Product-Manager

Even more did I  like a link within the posting, to

Why product management is open source's fatal flaw

http://www.productbeautiful.com/2008/05/02/why-product-management-is-open-sources-fatal-flaw/

I think that, by contrast, GNUmed is in the situation where people are not contributing primarily to scratch only their own itch (or: their itch is to provide something that will help other people, at least to the extent that we _hope_ we understand doctors' fundamental needs) although assisting their own needs in the process.. why build something you would not want to use?

Comment 15 (by ADev) is excellent, he points out

Taking it a step further…how does a person become involved with development of an FOSS? Well, firstly one needs to find the FOSS. There are many ways and reasons one may find a project, but it is probably fair to say that two are the most common:
a) A Person has a need for a tool (as a user), searches around, and lands on an Open Source project. First becoming associated with the project as a mere user, he/she eventually decides that he/she can donate some free time and utilize his/her skills to make the project “better”.
b) A person knows he/she wants to develop a certain type of project and searches for existing solutions or initiated efforts. Then joins the original team being happy to have found it.

So my hope would be that despite that GNUmed started with Horst, Karsten, and others as "b" we can maybe -- as we would get GNUmed more suitable for more people to *begin* to use -- get more of (a) which is how *I* started.

I chose here to make note of one other link from a comment, it is probably not suitable to GNUmed for the description is of a model that makes the case for a vendor to create and run Open Source software. But I figured may as well link it from here as elsewhere:

http://wiki.pentaho.com/display/BEEKEEPER/The+Beekeeper