Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: the benefit of setup tools

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: the benefit of setup tools
Date: Mon, 07 Sep 2009 23:30:30 +0200

> Karsten> Now, there, GNUmed is not a *module* for Python. But maybe I am
> Karsten> misinterpreting what they mean by "module source distribution".
>
> The point is that if you pick any random app/lib/...there is 99.9%
> probability it is installed via make, autoconf, distutils, scons,
> cmake...whatever...ne need to make a research amongst Python
> apps/libs...there are even more setup tools than just distutils.

OK, there's a point: you are asking for *any* (standard) type of
installation procedure being delivered with the tarball. You are
not criticizing we would have the "wrong" one. Now, surely that'd be
desirable, but, he, we simply don't have it as we haven't written
one.

Probably due to the luxury of having Debian packages very
quickly right from the beginning.

> Karsten> similarly-named: I dare say GNUmed-v11/ is similar to
> Karsten> GNUmed.v11.tgz
>
> Good old Karsten and his sense of humor. I'll miss it.

It is good that you can accept it as humor.

> Karsten> Nonetheless we improved even on that based on your suggestions
> Karsten> yesterday.
>
> Thank you for that. I'm leaving with a good taste in my mouth. :-)

Now, all things considered a *peaceful* farewell is a good thing.

Karsten