Re: [Gnumed-devel] Updated server packages

From: Christian A. Reiter
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Updated server packages
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2009 23:19:53 +0200

Karsten Hilbert schrieb:
> For even safer results:
>
>       apt-get install gnumed-client gnumed-server && gm-bootstrap_server

I have no problems so far installing it now.
But from an somehow "outside" point of view - the biggest problems were
not the apt-gettting - this is usual on Debian & Co.
The main problem at my beginning was the database setup.
Gnumed's gm-bootstrap_server assumes that you already installed AND
configured the database.
Most people never had any installation of postgresql - only mysql - and
a few months before it was very hard to get toe information out of your
Wiki how to set up postgresql to work with Gnumed - I mean the holy line
in pg_hab.conf:

local   samegroup      +gm-logins                    md5

Without this line you can install the server like usual, but it won't work.

Nowadays I have no problem with it because I know it - but for people
that don't have much experience with Linux and especially with
postgresql this is complicated.
I am an experienced Linux user, but never touched Postgre before, and
for the first time it took me a few days to et it running - this could
be eased very simply by making the bootstrap script add this line
automatically to the file if run as root, or by just telling the user
that he should do this if run as other user.

Christian