Re: [Gnumed-devel] Turtorials

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Turtorials
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2010 23:30:36 +0200

On Wed, Jul 07, 2010 at 08:14:54AM -0700, Jim Busser wrote:

> The "Notes" plugin's multi-notelet support enables problem
> components to be split across the EMR tree's various
> problems. Liz maybe points to this as impractical, at least
> for some patient populations.

That's true, no doubt.

> The implication is that it is
> maybe only practical to generate a single, large SOAP note
> for any one encounter.

No, the implication would be that there very likely are
encounters in which it is more practical to write a single,
large SOAP note.

Which can already be done.

> But we have no easy way to "tag"
> multiple problems against a single note.

Because, logically, that doesn't make sense.

> Maybe *begin* the encounter in a single new notelet but --
> before saving -- making a decision as to whether and which
> parts of the SOAP text (snippets) to move into notelets
> easily raised from among the existing problems.

I have been thinking about this quite often and (I think)
have also written about it once before on this list - maybe
coming from a different angle, namely a tool for
facilitating sorting Subjective and Objective into
differential diagnosis considerations.

> Perhaps (IMO) even if all of the {Subjective, Objective}
> were allowed to remain in a single note, there would remain
> value to capturing *some* component Assessment and Plan
> items inside their respective problems?

Which can also already be done.

Karsten
--
GPG key ID E4071346 @ wwwkeys.pgp.net
E167 67FD A291 2BEA 73BD  4537 78B9 A9F9 E407 1346