Re: [Gnumed-devel] Open Source Health Informatics, London, 30th Sep 2010

From: lkcl
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Open Source Health Informatics, London, 30th Sep 2010
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2010 14:23:04 -0700 (PDT)

Jim Busser wrote:

> On 2010-08-11, at 12:35 PM, lkcl wrote:
>
> - GNUmed pre-lab-import
> - an HL7 file with lab results, displayed inside a text editor
> - disclaimer that the fresh-out-of-the-oven importer code simply did not
> yet get wrapped in a GUI button (doable after Karsten's return but not
> before the conference IMO)
> - show the new patient (if applicable) and result in GNUmed
>
> Alternatively might you like to show any of pyjamas? The answer depends
> whether sufficient people there may understand the limitations of standard
> browser web apps. I think that even if they do not understand stateless vs
> stateful connections, they may be aware that "browser-as-cure-all"
>
> - as a technology, have been associated with both compatibility and
> serious security problems
> - javascript is thorny and has something to do with these problems
> - if we are to use browsers, "Google Web Tools" offers some help
>
> http://www.linuxjournal.com/magazine/web-20-development-google-web-toolkit
> - an alternative-to-java free language python offers simplicity and
> elegance

 late so quick reply.

 * i'd like to do a demo even if i have to write in 30 mins a pyjamas-based
"quick grid" where i am forced to type in the clin.lab_request pk in an
input box.

 * pyjamas-desktop allows pure-python absolutely no javascript involved or
needed.

 * google web toolkit is java.  i don't give a damn whether people think
it's great, just because it has 20%+ mindshare.  and pyjamas _is_ google web
toolkit, ported to python.  so you get the benefits of the same design
principles, and the benefit, especially the dynamic language features, of
python.  no contest.

 right.  couple more messages, then sleep.

l.