Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: [Gnumed-bugs] xDT import problems

From: Jim Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: [Gnumed-bugs] xDT import problems
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2010 23:04:05 -0800

>> Are these not the same files (when exported by the praxis manager /
>> billing program) as we would target with
>>
>>      Person > Load external
>>
>> ??
>
> Yes.
>
> But I fail to see how a "known common directory" will help with this ?
>
> (maybe call it ~/.gnumed/import/external_data_src/ to ease discussion)
>
> Where in the workflow do you see this fit in ?
>
> What do you want to achieve by knowing this ? (in the unlikely case
> circumstances allow this to happen)
>
> Karsten

Suppose an appointment and billing database "Superbill" resides on a shared
drive ("G")

Say all front desk staff who use (and some doctors also use) Superbill want to
pass a patient to GNUmed

Say in all cases where Superbill is asked to export a patient, the CA-MSVA.txt
will get written to the same network drive / directory e.g.

        G:\Superbill\export\CA-MSVA.TXT

This means every time every user will switch into their locally running GNUmed,

- they select Person > Load external
- every one of them NEEDS TO TRAVERSE the drive and folder directory to
G:\Superbill\export\
- they are going to need education to understand what they are doing
- they are going to need sticky notes on their monitors to remind them where
they need to go

OR

- praxis IT can alter the gnumed.conf files
- in these files they can set
        filename = G:\Superbill\export\CA-MSVA.TXT
- they can probably even make a clonal file for receptionists and a clonal file
for doctors

Seeā€¦ I agreed with you that every praxis manager could want to put its exported
files in a different location, and so at no point was I suggesting GNUmed ought
to *define* one default location except as a dummy value in .conf like

        PathAndOptionallyFilenameToWhereToLookForExternalFiles

In my scenario, if we would tell GNUmed to read (from .conf) where

        Person > Load external

should open, then the file picker would helpfully each time open the directory

        G:\Superbill\export\

to show any existing

        CA-MSVA.TXT

and this workflow is a "manual" partial implementation of "slave mode"

I just realized that an alternative to a .conf file setting would be for the
database (upon selecting Person > Load external) could store the last-used path
except in the case of this being the local path of one user how it would impact
the next user.