Re: [Gnumed-devel] installable gnumed live disro

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] installable gnumed live disro
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2011 12:22:51 +0100

On Sunday 06 March 2011 11:02:06 address@hidden wrote:
> Hi
> I would suggest to make the gnumed live distro installable. It should not
> be very difficult.

Unfortunately it is difficult. Or at least it was. Or at least I did not know
how to do it. Anyway.

> reasons fo suggestions ae
> 1. As Live distro is read only, no data can be added.

The purpose is that we can tell people it is safe and does not harm their
system.

> 2. Evaluation of write documents is not possible.

In principle it should be possible. I am not sure I have properly configure
the thing.

> 3. If one decide to instal linux fo gnumed sake, why he should again
> download another image and then try to fix multiple errors.

Point taken.

> 4. I would sill prefer ubuntu for this purpose as
>       a) it is popular

Agreed but depending on your Ubuntu it really is easy to add it to stock
Ubuntu. However I welcome any effort to build an installable Live-CD based on
Ubuntu. We have the problem that there is one for Debian and openSUSE already.
I am not keen on providing more distros.

>       b) it has one of the best hadware support

Tell that to the openSUSE people :-)

>       c) it has short boot up time (secs)

Good feature. If anyone want to do it. go ahead. None of the (so far) regular
GNUmed contributor use Ubuntu (as in daily). So there is little to be expected
from that group. Any Ubuntero is welcome to give it a try.

>       d) installation time is also pretty short
>   though any other distribution including debian should be equally good

If anyone wants to take over building live CDs be my guest. I would even stop
creating one for Debian and openSUSE if a better alternative exists.

It should be possible to give the Debian based one an installation feature and
to configure letter writing.

Sebastian