Re: [Gnumed-devel] Introducing myself and questions on billing/accountin

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Introducing myself and questions on billing/accounting
Date: Fri, 20 May 2011 00:21:57 +0200

> At least in most western countries they are inseperably linked,

Factually, yes, but for all the wrong reasons.

> not only just
> because the staff need to know what is done, but because the clinical
> record may need to troll the item numbers pertinent to say chronic
> disease management.

Not sure I properly understand this. Am I to interpret this like so:

The "clinical record" (being the EMR application) needs to parse the
billed items and from what it finds derive knowledge about the
actual management of chronic diseases that has happened ?

IOW: if the doctor has not billed for "asthma control checkup" within
the last 6 months remind them to do so ?

If so I fail to see why clinical decision support is inseperably
linked with billing rather than with a proper decision support
engine. Notwithstanding the fact that generations of doctors have
been shoe-horned into thinking that their bill-optimizer engine
is an appropriate tool to control management of care.

Whichever way however, in the FLOSS world being linked or integrated
does not mean having to exist within the same user interface. Several
frontends can "troll" the same data base (as in base of data) in ways
relevant to their function.

Karsten