Re: [Gnumed-devel] Improvement to Measurements plugin

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Improvement to Measurements plugin
Date: Sat, 6 Aug 2011 18:40:01 +0200

On Mon, Aug 01, 2011 at 11:43:46AM -0700, Jim Busser wrote:

> See screenshot. I have ideas to make clearer that:
>
> - the Select button is does not take into account (or make obvious to the
> use) the possibility to make selections independently of the button / function

That is a function of a generic grid widget itself. Anyone
having seen spreadsheets knows this. Do you think doctors
will need help with that ?

Nevertheless, I have tried to fool-proof the tooltip.

> - the items in the Actions… button will be applied
> *only* to whatever has been selected…  this is unclear

I have attached the button tooltip.

> until after you would click on that button, and then realize
> it is not a button, but a menu that contains:

I have asked a naive user what she would expect to happen
from a button labelled

        [Actions...]

She replied: I would next expect something letting me choose
an action/show me the available actions.

> What I would suggest is the following:
>
>       (1) an Input button
>       - it could instead be labeled "Add", only we do already have lots of
> "A"s
>       - in time, maybe a machine can be helped to "inject" a value

Done.

>       (2) an Import button
>       - per screenshot comment

When the importer is available we can easily add that.

>       (3) a Display indicator and button
>
>       (4) an area that combines some clearer refactoring of Selection and
> Actions…
>
> additional discussion on 3 and 4:
> ==========================
>
> (3) Display indicator and button – the plugin might
>     inform what is actually being displayed, which has the
>     possibility of not being everything. I suggest that what is
>     of greatest interest when first visiting the Measurements is
>     anything that is unsigned. This is reasonable because it
>     corresponds to Inbox items, even despite that the user had
>     not bothered to actively check there. I agree when you see
>     new unsigned results in isolation, for example if you would
>     see an elevated creatinine, you would right away want to
>     know whether this was a change. However if upon initial
>     presentation the new results drown in a sea of existing
>     results, and can be hard to pay them proper attention.
>     Example: you order 10 tests and nine come back and these 9
>     rows get signed, but when the last result later comes back,
>     it may be hard to see it as the 6th cell in a column of 10
>     rows. So I would suggest to first display *just* the new /
>     unsigned information if that applies, and let the user click
>     a button to include already-signed information into the
>     view.

Very reasonable and a complete re-write of the currently
existing measurements display. It also quite aligns with
what Richard suggests is useful.

There's no contesting that.

Eventually, this can surely get implemented.

This is material for a wishlist item "Jim's results viewer".

Karsten
--
GPG key ID E4071346 @ gpg-keyserver.de
E167 67FD A291 2BEA 73BD  4537 78B9 A9F9 E407 1346