[Gnumed-devel] GNUmed on a smartphone

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed on a smartphone
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2011 22:20:50 +0200

Hi,

If you are looking for getting GNUmed on your smartphone you have to wait no
longer.

From what I have seen the Motorola Atrix might get you there.

The screen is too small for GNUmed ? Sure it is but not when you connect the
phone to a monitor or tv screen via the HDMI connectivity.

You need a mouse and keyboard to work properly ? Well sure. Just get the
Laptop dock (7hours on battery btw)  or connect a bluetooth mouse an keyboard.

There is only Firefox available you say ? Well install Ubuntu or Debian on it
side by side to the standard software. Then install GNUmed.

But what if I loose it ? Well this phone actually has a fingerprint reader on
it. I guess that should have you covered more a bit more then a simple PIN on
your current phone.

But what about the other apps that run on my server in the hospital ?
One way would be to use the nomachine nx web companion to have your full
desktop in a browser window. But that requires installing the java plugin on
your phone.

What I did not check is if one can install gnumed-server on it. But seeing
there is a Debian package for the arm architecture I guess the complete GNUmed
could be run on this phone.

I would love to hear if anyone is going to try this.

Sebastian