Re: [Gnumed-devel] Medication errors related to drug names, and the appr

From: Jim Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Medication errors related to drug names, and the approach of TALLman lettering
Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2011 09:42:40 -0700

On 2011-09-05, at 4:12 AM, Karsten Hilbert wrote:

>>  At
>> this time, scientific studies do not support the use of tall
>> man letters when presenting drug names to patients.
>
> This latter suggestion is something for which there's no
> support in GNUmed atm.

Current placeholders will (I think) output literally what is in the patient's
record.

Dare I suggest a placeholder which outputs case-adjusted medication names

        initcap(description) for fk_drug_component
                --> ref.lnk_substance2brand.pk
                --> ref.branded_drug.description

        lower(description) for fk_substance
                --> ref.consumable_substance. description

??

The alternative is to take the view that just because there is no evidence
(yet) in support of such presentation of names to patients, maybe there is no
harm. Maybe someone else in the home has one of the other drugs which can be
confused (and perhaps a single patient could be on both).

-- Jim