Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed 1.6.10 Maintenance Release

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed 1.6.10 Maintenance Release
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2016 13:37:07 +0100

On Sun, Nov 20, 2016 at 10:39:35AM +0100, slappinjohn wrote:

> > I guess it'd be useful to have a client-only Debian image
> > which can be run as a production instance on any OS that runs
> > virtualbox. It would ease the need for a dedicated Windows
> > client executable.
> >
> the client only version would probably only be 300 to 400 mb smaller
> than the one with the server and could easily be configured to connect
> to any other server in the network. So why maintaining to different
> VBox-images?

In that case I agree that the benefit of maintaining a single
image seems to outweigh the cost. So let's stick with one
image for the time being.

Maybe we can add a few easily accessible scripts or some such
for, say, upgrading Debian inside the image or moving
internally taken backups to a folder shared with the host ?

OTOH, would it make sense to have a server-only image ?  That
one could even be headless, or only offer a lightweight
desktop for use of, say, pgadmin.

But, first of all, having one current, easily maintainable
image is very useful all by itself !

Thanks for helping out,
Karsten
E167 67FD A291 2BEA 73BD  4537 78B9 A9F9 E407 1346