gnump3d-users

Re: [Gnump3d-users] Suggestion: use SSL/TLS for authentication

From: Simone Saravalli
Subject: Re: [Gnump3d-users] Suggestion: use SSL/TLS for authentication
Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2005 16:14:05 +0200

> >   Perhaps something simpler might work, wrapping the incoming
> >  connections in SSL via stunnel?
>
> A helper app might be required for music players that support HTTP but
> not SSL.  (do any support HTTP *and* SSL?)

Hi, I don't understand the necessity to wrap an incoming connection
with stunnel and what this has in common with the usage of
certificates that are usually used for the autenticity of the parts of
a communication (the client and the server). I don't know stunnel and
SSL, but I know they are used to encrypt a tcp connection into a
secure tunnel. IMHO, a good way to test the authenticity of users that
make connections with the gnump3d server may be the use of a
username/password eventually cripted with a public/provate key
alghoritm during the transfer from client to server.
Do you agree?

Simone Saravalli