gnunet-developers

Re: [GNUnet-developers] question on how to enforce anonymity

From: Nagy Ferenc László
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] question on how to enforce anonymity
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 16:46:25 +0200

Christian Grothoff wrote:

On Tuesday 13 April 2004 04:41, j-t muyl wrote:

Hi,
I'd like to know if gnuNET allows users to be in connection ONLY with
trusted friends (only with IRL known people for example). Like this, we
could make a very strong network, your IP adress will be known by your
close friends, and that's all...You request, or a file transfert will be
routed trough nodes between trusted links from the sender to the receiver,
and no one else that your friends will know that you use gnunet...

I don't know if gnunet implement this feature, it could be useful and I can
help dev...

The simplest way would be to add an option that disables receiving new HELO advertisements (expiration-refresh should be allowed) from other peers and then just manually (IRL) exchanging the files from data/hosts. That way, the respective peers would be limited to hosts that were explicitly added to their data/hosts file. I've committed (and attached) a 2-line patch that adds the respective option (but read the comment: no NAT, change HOSTLISTURL).

But I would not call such a feature "enforcing anonymity" since you're now trusting a small circle of "friends" and possibly are making a traffic analysis easier since you are limited in your connections.

Are we talking about a closed network? Or is it permitted for my friends' nodes to connect to external nodes? In the latter case, is it possible to tell my friends' nodes to not forward my HELO messages to external nodes?

Nagy Ferenc László