gnunet-developers

Re: [GNUnet-developers] website and logo rework

From: ng0
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] website and logo rework
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2018 09:54:07 +0000

On Fri, 26 Jan 2018, amirouche <address@hidden> wrote:
> Le ven. 26 janv. 2018 à 1:07, amirouche <address@hidden> a
> écrit :
>> Héllo,
>>

>> I got into creating a new logo for gnunet and work on the new gnunet
>> website.
>>
>> I did not study a lot the current website and based the mockup on
>> what is in
>> the www.git repository @ https://gnunet.org/git/www.git/

Hm, did you read the 2 emails where I summarized in short the
problems I see with the old website? I'm okay with reworking from
scratch though. Maybe it helps.

>> My first impression is that the learning curve is rather steep,
>> because it's
>> start in the first paragraph with various acronyms that I don't know
>> myself.

Absolutely. This impression resonates all over the internet when
you start searching for peoples perception of GNUnet.

>> The introduction goes into deteails of what and how Internet is
>> broken.
>> Starting up with the Internet is broken is not very positive
>> and

true

>> most likely
>> people coming to the website already know that.
>>
>> We should first deliver a short explanation of the guiding
>> principles of the
>> gnunet stack (or framework?). I think about: ethical, energy
>> efficient, secure

Energy efficient? I'm curious how do you come to that conclusion
or idea. It should be energy efficient on devices in the long
run, but right now it's only energy efficient on the high level
view as we can remove various pieces of old, existing
infrastructure and use pieces of GNUnet.

>> and anonymous. Maybe that must be the headline. Maybe:
>>
>>  ethical Internet
>>
>> is enough.
>>
>> Let's be creative, the current headline seems like a buzz word bingo
>> parade:

Yeah, it is definitely too long and not helpful as a headline.

>>  Decentralized, Secure, Privacy-preserving, Distributed Application
>> Framework
>>
>> ipfs use the following:
>>
>>  IPFS is the distributed web.
>>
>> That is a bit strong and surf on the _web_ frenzy. A misleading
>> statement.
>> Serving static files over the network is an old trick.
>>
>> I think we should focus on delivring a short explanation for three
>> kinds of
>> potentially interested users.
>>
>> - end users: What are gnunet-based applications? What are the
>> advantages
>>  of using gnunet compared to other approaches in particular the
>> blockchain,
>>  ipfs and bittorrent (e.g. gnunet offers the possibility to stay
>> anonymous
>>  which avoids the need to use vpn (which is not really anonymous)
>> and that
>>  gnunet offers better performance than tor (which has known issues)).

If we compare to tor we should also point out that tor does onion
routing currently, while GNUnet is researching on its own way to
implement the concept of OR into GNUnet without relying on
central servers as Tor does.

>>  AFAIK this section will be empty without gnunet-gtk and gnu taler.
>>
>> - developpers: What are the advantages of using gnunet? What are the
>> distinctive
>>  features of gnunet? What are the available bindings? What is their
>> status?
>>  Explain in layman terms that most the regular network stack is
>> replaced
>>  by a secure version. Explai from top to bottom (I think it's easier
>>  to understand but I am just a webdev) what are the different
>> services.

We have this picture of Legos in the Manual (if we, and
that means I, fix up the rendering of images). I found this Lego
view helpful and easy to understand, people want examples they
have already used in life. Most (not all) people will have seen
or played with Lego at this point.

More examples, what I will use in future versions of the Manual:
Daily life examples like sending a mail (snail mail!) or package
via post and describing what happens to it works out really good.
I hope you understand what I mean.. this fits to explaining in
layman terms :)

>> - researcher: explain that gnunet is based on several research
>> papers and
>>  that it was published in various places, link to the bibliography.
>>
>> How someone should cite gnunet if they use it in their work? bibtex?

Yes, bibtex, which should point to what gnunetbib
becomes. However I'm almost positive that I can't fix up the
bibtex (dead links!) on time.
This is based on anonbib (and my current work on anonbib to fix
the dead links in it) by freehaven. No one stepped forward to
propose a write from scratch, so we are using anonbib for now. It
has the ability to export and point to the plain bibtex used to
generate the website, but we already have bibtex now, if that
helps?

>> I replaced the term 'stack' with 'framework' in the headline, is it
>> ok?

Don't they mean different things?
Distributed Application Framework still makes sense, but I always
imagine the Lego picture where Stack makes sense.
I think someone else must answer this.

>> logos and mockup at https://imgur.com/a/ZOjNU

Would it look bad if the logo carried on the capitalized "GNU"
instead of the new "gnu", as in "GNUnet"?

>> I attached the svg source.
>>
>> WDYT?

Nice. You seem to have a pretty good idea about how the website
could be improved. My basic idea in the old on- and off-list
discussions really was: how can we make this more reader-, user-
and developerfriendly to read? how can we stop alienating and
bore people on the first page already?

> Of course, at some point we need to dive into the various matters that
> gnunet tackles like why an anonymous censorship resistent network is a
> good thing? Maybe that could go to a FAQ page?
>
> What are the gnunet developers that have a blog?

I have one (if I keep it around with the next update of the
website) at https://n0.is/b/ there should be a section "gnunet"
in there.
With the next update of it we might also be able to link
include https://infotropique.org, but it's so early stages that
I'd rather wait - A GNUnet related system framework (and more).

All in all, good ideas :)

And a casual reminder to the other subscribers of the list:
Let's keep this discussion on the list. We need to have more open
discussions.
--
ng0 :: https://ea.n0.is
A88C8ADD129828D7EAC02E52E22F9BBFEE348588 :: https://ea.n0.is/keys/