gnunet-developers

Re: [GNUnet-developers] libwget2

From: ng0
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] libwget2
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2018 12:04:40 +0000

Hi,

Schanzenbach, Martin transcribed 3.7K bytes:
> So. Christian is a bit better with those things but I have just taken a brief
> look into wget2.
> The thing is that curl has a "nice" way of having your own scheduling (using
> curl_multi_perform etc).
> As far as I can see wget2 (apart from having a _huge_ kitchensink as well)

Wasn't the kitchensink one of the reasons to consider switching away from curl?
Now I'm curious
for what Christian sees in wget2.

> does internal multithreading for downloads in connections and almost
> exclusively has blocking, synchronous calls.
> Even in their async example the calls are blocking! See
> https://github.com/rockdaboot/wget2/blob/master/examples/http_multi_get.c.
> (Maybe there is way to implement proper async calls; possibly using
> wget_net*:
> https://gnuwget.gitlab.io/wget2/reference/group__libwget-net.html#ga71e02092659a35a26c8ac4cdfec23854)

And this is bad for us in GNUnet because we require non-blocking asyc calls?
You are more experienced in the field than I am and longer involved here.

> I don't see this playing nice with the GNUnet scheduler.
> To me, there does not seem to be a major advantage of wget2 over curl.

Okay.

> I guess there is a packaging issue between curl and gnurl (I don't have
> context atm sorry)

It's more of a system-integration problem than a packaging problem (see links
below for more).
I manage to do releases of gnurl without much work now, could be better only
with having to
maintain gnurl in the first place.

> and I am also not happy with the gnurl dependency, but the reasoning behind
> it is clear.
> Looking at wget2, however, I personally do not see any advantage for GNUnet
> to integrate it. Actually, I see technical limitations that would make this
> quite difficult without modifying wget2.

Quite difficult is not impossible though, but so far libgnurl seems to be
easiest solution.

> BR
> Martin

I hoped for a one time effort to fix the outstanding long-term works on
libgnurl, but reading this
it seems to me that wget2 needs more evaluation? Christian originally mentioned
wget2 as an alternative
so there must be something to it.

The recent libgnurl releases were only 1 - 12 hours of work including checking
and fixing merges,
but properly integrating it (and there GNUnet!) into Guix is something I hoped
to avoid fixing.

- https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=25240
- https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2017-01/msg00516.html
There's no easy solution to it as can be seen in my previous attempts,
including:
- https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2018-01/msg00347.html

As you wrote, Christian should have more insight and I still wish to read or
hear more in depth
why Christian considered wget2. Nevertheless, this is already more than
Christian told me before.
Thanks!