gnunet-developers

Re: [GNUnet-developers] Proposal: Make GNUnet Great Again?

From: Hartmut Goebel
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] Proposal: Make GNUnet Great Again?
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2019 22:57:35 +0100

Am 10.02.19 um 22:28 schrieb Christian Grothoff:
>> - framework ("core")
> Should framework include the gnunet-gtk-common, causing GNUnet to drag
> in Gtk+ (that's a bit along my question of merging gnunet-gtk.git with
> gnunet.git, which few people seemed to like)?  Should framework include
> gnunet-postgres and gnunet-mysql and gnunet-sqlite database routines?
> Does the framework package then always drag in 3 databases as mandatory
> dependencies?

While I have no strong opinion about this, I suggest to include the
db-backends, as optional dependencies. If at least one db-backend is
required for gnunet to work, at least on should be required to be
specified using "--with-XXX". If one is building gnunet for his/her own
use, he/she could select what he/she want. Packager could build all
backends and carve them out into separate packages (I assume each
backend to be a few, easy to detect files.)

I'm not sure about gnunet-gtk-common. Following the layered approach it
might be worth keeping it in a repo of it's own. OTOH if gnunet-fs-gtk
is part of gnunet-fs, it might not make much difference. From a
packager's POV I'd depend this on how easy the gtk-related files can be
carved out into a separate package.

BTW: The Cmake build system has a nice feature for packagers: It lists
all enabled and disabled features and optional packages, e.g.:

-- The following features have been enabled:

 * Qt5Test (required version >= 5.11.0), Required for building tests
 * prctl-dumpable, Required for disallowing ptrace on kdesu process

-- The following OPTIONAL packages have been found:

 * Qt5Test (required version >= 5.11.0), Required for building tests
   Required for tests
 * Qt5Qml (required version >= 5.12.0)

-- The following REQUIRED packages have been found:

 * Qt5Gui (required version >= 5.12.0)
 * Qt5Widgets
 * Qt5Svg

--