gnuspeech-contact

Re: [gnuspeech-contact] Status of GNUspeech?

From: David Hill
Subject: Re: [gnuspeech-contact] Status of GNUspeech?
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2008 15:24:04 -0700

Hi Ken,

On Aug 1, 2008, at 10:18 AM, Kenneth Reid Beesley wrote:

May I ask about the status of the GNUspeech port?  Just a paragraph or two.
I work on OS X.

Someday I'd like to use GNUspeech, or something like it, to do text-to-speech for
Hopi.  There's still a lot I need to do before I can get to text-to-speech, but I like to
keep up on what's available.

Thanks in anticipation,

Ken

Currently working on the port/rewrite of "Synthesizer" which is an important tool for creating the databases needed for new languages.  Once that is completed, you could start working on your Hopi text-to-speech because "Monet" and "Synthesizer" are really all you need.

The port/rewrite is somewhat hampered because of changes to the hardware (Intel now used), software (Xcode is significantly changed, especially 3.1), and provision for audio output (much of the original CoreAudio has been deprecated)  :-(  However, good progress is being made.

Which version of OS X are you using?  Do you do any Cocoa/Xcode/Interface builder development?

Your ongoing interest is appreciated.

All good wishes.

david

---------
David Hill, gnuspeech Project Administrator
Simplicity, patience, compassion. These three are your greatest treasures  (Tao Te Ching #67)
---------