gnuspeech-contact

[gnuspeech-contact] Re: Membership request for group Articulatory Speech

From: David Hill
Subject: [gnuspeech-contact] Re: Membership request for group Articulatory Speech Synthesis
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2008 11:18:12 -0700

Hi Rafal,

As administrator of the gnuspeech project, I received your request for membership of the group. You may not realise that it is not necessary to be a group member in order to download everything in the project CVS repository. Group membership is intended for those who are actively involved in developing/maintaining the code and developing new modules, so that they can update the repository.

For obvious reasons, we cannot simply allow new people we do not know to have the ability to change what is in the repository since we have no knowledge of their skills, abilities, goals, and experience. If you do work on existing code and make improvements/additions, or if you come up with new modules related to what exists, or to the aims of the project then, after an assessment of your work, we would be in a position to admit you as a group member with repository change privileges.

I greatly appreciate your interest in the work, and we are always short of good people to contribute to the considerable task of further development.

I don't know how much of the web site you have explored but you should at least check out:

http://www.gnu.org/software/gnuspeech/

(which is linked from the main page at: http://savannah.gnu.org/ projects/gnuspeech as the first item under "Quick Overview.)

It explains the structure and status of the project. Under the third heading "Development Tools" you will find "- Browse Sources Repository" with which you can find current Macintosh Objective-C sources, as well as archival material from the NeXT implementation (the "TextToSpeech Kit" which was a fully functional commercially available real-time articulatory speech synthesis package for the NeXT. With the demise of NeXT and its takeover by Apple, we put all the software and development tools into the gnuspeech project under a GPL so that it may be used freely under the terms of that licence by anyone). We are currently developing a version that will compile and run under GNU/Linux GnuStep and on the Macintosh under OS X, using conditional compilation. So far the main language development tool "Monet" has been ported to the Macintosh and the port of "Synthesizer" -- which provides an interactive means of using the basic tube model that emulates the vocal tract for study and database development is 80% complete. "Monet" does allow arbitrary text to be spoken, using the inappropriately-named "Gnuspeech" pre-processor to convert the text to the input format required by "Monet".

After "Synthesiser" is completed, the two most important tools for new language development ("Monet" and "Synthesizer" will be available at least for the Macintosh under OS X. The GnuStep version is more of a problem as the audio output facilities for GnuStep are non- existent, other than using basic IOCTL. There is no equivalent of Core Audio, though Greg Casamento -- the GnuStep project leader has promised that such facilities will be added, but is too busy to undertake the work himself.

There is more information in the first URL I gave you above, and I would be very happy to provide help if you need it. Please keep in touch and let me know how your own research is going. Perhaps in the near future, you will become more closely involved in the gnuspeech work, and hopefully you will be able to join us as a full project member, once we have got to know you and your work.

Do you have access to a Macintosh running OS X 10.4 or 10.5? You can download Monet, and the pre-processor Gnuspeech from the repository , compile it and run it (there will be some small changes needed to deal with the ongoing updates to 10.4 and 10.5). I could also send you a .tar file of the current 0.8 version of "Synthesizer" so you can get a feel for it. It compiles and runs under 10.4.11/Xcode 2.4.1/SDK 4 all the way to 10.5.4/Xcode 3.1/SDK5). Alternatively, if you have access to a NeXT computer, you can get the entire developer TextToSpeech kit and simply run it. There's a set of the required passwords under the "private" directory in the repository.

I look forward to hearing from you and wish you well with your PhD thesis.

All good wishes.

david

--------