gnuspeech-contact

[gnuspeech-contact] GNUSpeech Console Utility

From: John Delaney
Subject: [gnuspeech-contact] GNUSpeech Console Utility
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2009 15:38:41 -0800

Hello, I am a new obj-c programmer.  I decided to take a look at GNUSpeech because I am interested in speech synthesis and I've wanted to implement an existing open source speech synthesis implementation as an Apple Audio Unit synthesizer for some time.  I like the sound of GNUSpeech compared to other synthesis packages I tested, and wanted to learn some of the more advanced oop programming techniqes used in its implimentation such as setting up and managing Events.  I decided to start out by creating a simple "Hello World" example utilizing the GNUSpeechserver as a starting point.  My goal is to create a package that is not reliant on an external speech daemon/server to synthesize text and has the synthesis callback components compiled within the audiounit.  This way I can experiment with the synthesis parameters if I wanted to, ie testing different types of noise, square wave vs. sine wave, etc.

Because I am a bit of a beginner, please let me know if because of my level of experience this email is inappropriate.  I'm having trouble with segmentation faults as the program accesses speechtophone methods.

Here is my very naive implementation:
#import "TextToSpeech.h"

int main (int argc, const char * argv[]) {
    NSAutoreleasePool * pool = [[NSAutoreleasePool alloc] init];

    // insert code here...
    NSLog(@"Hello, World!");

    TextToSpeech * textToSpeech;
    NSLog(@"0");
    [textToSpeech init];

    NSString * stext = @"hello world text";

    [textToSpeech speakText:stext];

    [textToSpeech dealloc];
    //[phoneString dealloc];

    [pool drain];
    return 0;
}

I'm sure there are many problems with the above implementation, and I hope they aren't too many to list in a response email.  Any nudges in the correct direction would be very helpful.  Please don't waste too much of your time on me.

Thank you,
John Delaney