gnuspeech-contact

[gnuspeech-contact] speech synthesis freebsd

From: fmiller
Subject: [gnuspeech-contact] speech synthesis freebsd
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2012 16:28:16 -0600

"upped shiff he e" on FreeBSD! (the line above will be meaningless if my previous posting hasn't gone through...cross fingers...click...) there were a few small hurdles on the way to running Monet on FreeBsd: anyone who already has gnustep up and running on FreeBSD can skip to: "SKIP_TO_HERE" The FreeBSD Handbook is pretty thourough, so I'll suggest that anyone who wants to try it out should start there. Gnustep is third-party software and therfore not covered in the handbook. So here's a few notes from one linux user who finally got over his fear of slices. Once the initial install is done and the system reboots, if it hangs for 30 or 60 seconds after it tells you ssh is starting...ssh is not the source of the glitch. If you can't stand the wait, or if you want to enable gdm, then read the Makefile in /etc/mail. sendmail is scary. can't help. sorry. Aside from that, |---
# pkg_add -r portupgrade
# pkg_add -r subversion
# pkg_add -r gmake
# pkg_add -r gnustep ---|

that was easy...it took care of a lot of dependencies, too; even gdbm (which, in the end, I did not use). portupgrade depends on db42 (which I did end up using) let's see...gnustep-examples, gworkspace, jackit
"jackit: not found"
hmm... |--- # pkg_add -r qjackctl ---|
jackit gets installed as a dependency...ok
maybe I mistyped "jackit" before
portaudio was installed as a dependency of gnustep
but it was version 18.x  not version 19
so I had to install portaudio2
(compiling with "#import portaudio.h" resulted in errors due to
undefined/implicitly-defined functions, "#import portaudio2/portaudio.h" worked...I'll get to that stuff)
I couldn't remember whether I wanted projectmanager or projectcenter
so I installed both
and gorm
and appwrapper
and wmaker
and a variety of other things I probably don't need
(but might want: like vlc and mpdcon)
' pkg_add -r '  finds the ftp server for itself (that's what '-r' is for)
but it's easier to look at the packages directory directly than it is to search the ports directory for stuff to install ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-8.3-release/gnustep/
So, finally,
After installing |--- address@hidden:~> echo "source /usr/local/GNUstep/System/Library/Makefiles/GNUstep.csh" >>.cshrc
address@hidden:~> su -
# echo "OPTIONAL_MANPATH /usr/$local/GNUstep/System/Library/Documentation/man" >>/etc/manpath.config
# ^D
address@hidden:~> ---|
logout...login...
then: 'man gdomap' the man page says if you need to use a config file to tell gdomap about network interfaces then "you must NOT include any loopback interfaces" but that's how it got installed |---
address@hidden:~> head -15 /usr/local/etc/rc.d/GNUstep.sh
#!/bin/sh
PREFIX=/usr/local
IFFILE=${PREFIX}/etc/gdomap_if
PIDFILE="/var/run/gdomap.pid"
GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_ROOT="${PREFIX}/GNUstep/System"
case "$1" in
start)
      if [ -e ${GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_ROOT}/Library/Makefiles/GNUstep.sh ]; then
              . ${GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_ROOT}/Library/Makefiles/GNUstep.sh
              rm -f ${PIDFILE}
              opentool gdomap -a ${IFFILE} -I ${PIDFILE}
              opentool gdnc
              echo -n ' GNUstep'
address@hidden:~>
address@hidden:~>
address@hidden:~> cat /usr/local/etc/gdo_if
127.0.0.1 255.255.255.0
address@hidden:~>
address@hidden:~> su -
# echo "192.168.0.230 255.255.255.0" >>/usr/local/etc/gdo_if
# ^D
---| I tried removing '-a ${IFFILE}' but that didn't fix it (maybe I should have tried rebooting), so I gave my unused ethernet port an address and gave that to gdomap. That worked; that should still keep it from poking its nose out on the wireless network at the public library too, which may relate to the motivation for having it install the way it did.

SKIP_TO_HERE once you have a working copy of the source code for gnuspeech, take the patch I hope you will find attached to this message, and save it somewhere change to your gnustep/trunk directory
|---
$ svn patch <path-to-patch>
$ ./install
---| note: on my debian system, subversion is only at version 1.6.12 and doesn't do patching...FreeBSD 8.3-RELEASE supports subversion 1.7.3. I haven't tested the patch...it's already installed! HTH fred