gnuspeech-contact

Re: [gnuspeech-contact] Synthetic Speech...

From: Farlie A
Subject: Re: [gnuspeech-contact] Synthetic Speech...
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2016 00:30:09 +0100

On 30/03/2016 21:14, David Hill wrote:
Dear Alex,

I have copied this response to the gnuspeech list as it will be of general interest, and also encourages others to participate.

Feel free to copy my further thoughts below,,

You certainly could use gnuspeech to do the sort of thing you discuss in you email (copy below). However, right now you'd have to get yourself a Macintosh running OS x 10.10.x and use the Monet system. Used Mac Pro Towers (say early 2009 versions) are available at Other World Computing (a very reliable company). They are powerful and upgradeable. I have an early 2008 and an early 2009, and have added an SSD to both of them, which gives an even better performance than the standard machine.

Is Monet "free" software?, or at the very least the voice generator compatible with Creative Commons Share Alike?  That was important because the aim was to try and be as 'free' as possible and so that the output was usable by others ( and could be edited in tools like GarageBand.)

The platform independent gnuspeechsa does not yet incorporate the Monet facility though I believe Marcelo is working on that aspect, judging by some of the image material he has previewed to me.

Thanks.

In order to get different accents, intonation and rhythm, as required for your examples, you may have to get involved in significant manual work, modifying the databases. For intonation, you'd have to create the required intonation contour manually.

Hmm, and as I am not a speech professional,  this may be beyond my level of expertise, other than marking notes in the script. as to intonation intent. Your note about adding tonic feet below is something I was missing.

Something else that will need to be worked out is how to translate between Gnuspeech's phoneme names and E-Speak's one (based on the Kirshenbaum encoding. (see my other recent e-mail).

However, here are two variants of the "Miss Jones" utterance you suggested using just the basic system and the existing databases:

It would be helpful if the original code were modified to allow a manually constructed intonation contour to be save. At the moment, if the synthesis is saved to a sound file, the contour is regenerated prior to synthesis, losing any contour that was constructed manually. This is an unfortunate omission, but would be fairly easy to correct. You'll notice that the threatening "German accent" version has two added tonic feet added (marked by '*' in the parsed version of the utterance).

Ah. that's possibly something I also need to look up how to do in E-speak, add tonic-feet.

In order to make the process easier and less trouble, the user and application dictionaries should be added and made usable. Then particular dictionaries (a lot smaller than the main dictionary) could be set up for particular dialogue and accent requirements.

Hmm...  Would consideration some kind of Unintophonic( Universal intonation phonetic encoding) to represent both sounds and intonation intent?  An older speech synth program I found called Superior Speech! ( running under RISC OS 3 years ago) , allowed for at least 8 different (albeit fixed) intonation pitches on individual phonemes as well as some more advanced features for "singing" phonemes at specific notes ( something which I understand is an area of current research by others. ). There are some possible encodings like XSAMPA which incorporate intonation advice.  MBROLA (which is non-free) stores intonation data in a format which deals at a much lower level so it is possible to do much more finely tuned intonation contouring, if I understand what that means correctly. ( Thought: If there was a way to add MBROLA's PHO style data to GNUspeech/Espeak input files.... hmmm...)

The cut-in and phrase echoing would have to be done by synthesising the cut-in phrase and then mixing, or possibly in the future by having two copies on Monet running.

That's what I thought the current situation was likely to need.  However for audio-drama this is less of an issue given that ihe generated speech audio will probably be edited together in a non-linear way anyway.  Marking the cut-in's then become a partioning(?) issue during the lexical parsing(?)  and timecoding in any automated scripts that would generate to ressamble the audio output.   Muse (http://www.muse-sequencer.org/) is certainly scriptable, and depending on programmer interest, it looks possible that a future gnuspeech might be able to pipe output directly into the tool via various Audio interfaces like LV2, JACk etc...    Granted that 'scripted' semi-automated editing for cues is outside your area of focus on the speech generation portion.

Having access to the source code and databases, you could in principle create any facilities you needed to facilitate the kinds of dramatic dialogue for which you are looking. Do you have a programmer with whom you could work? It would amount to creating a "dramatic dialogue" application, based on gnuspeech.

I don't yet,  but was considering asking around on projects like Wikipedia/Wikisource/Wikiversity, given that certain aspects of it are quite broad.

Although not strictly within the remit of Gnuspeech,  I am wondering if anyone collects dialect examples.   There was an Australian Government project to collect examples of Australian English. and the BBC may have done so in the UK a couple of years ago.   I am not sure how 'free' these examples would be for researchers..  I will also note that there is a Spoken Wikipedia archive at Wikimedia commons, which contains audio examples of manualyl read Wikipedia articles. ( Aside: I wonder if anyone's tried using Text to Speech for Wikipedia articles? )

On a different but related topic...  from some of your papers you built an approximate Tract model.  This is presumably flexible enough to cope with most human charcteristics (including voices that "Sound like that guy from the Trailer, that's been smoking since he was old enough to buy them."
(another 'staged' voice type I will add to my earlier examples of vocal types.).

Call this a very premature April 1st peice if you like (but others with an interest may want to take this in more serious earnest.) but this got me thinking way outside the box, in respect of what might be termed "Fantasy Voices" and how they could be modelled. (Clearly an involved project for someone creative given that you'd almost have to develop a constructed language at the same time in order to have a dictionary/transliteration to draw on.  "Analysis on the creatiion of speculative phonology for speech vocalistion in non-humanoids" almost sounds like an unusual paper ;) )

Presumably by modifying the tract model you could have "fantasy voices" based on alternative evolution of a dominant mammal, at the very least, it being a matter of scaling certain frequencies IIRC, based on some audio reconstruction done in the Early 1990's to recreate mammoth calls.  I'm also not a biologist so whilst I appreciate speech capability in humans has certain  anatomical aspects that are required, I'm not sure of what precisely the characteristics are.

Humanoid like aliens, are also a possibility,  The so-termed Nordic types would probably have a voice closest to human (from a tract model perspective, based on internet accounts of alleged encounters),  "Stage" aliens such as in old radio/TV are from what I recall mostly accented human langauge albiet with much modified grammar or intonational rythm.    On the other hand you may have aliens that have "clicks" in their language (not sure of what these are called in speech/IPA terms) in additional to tonal and noise based phonemes.

Nearly all the non-naturalistic 'robot/computer' voices I've heard in TV/Film/Radio have different (or at the least modified) tone and intonation counters, with many being post-processd using specifc effect Although not strictly a "robot", I will note here that both the Dalek and Clasic Series Cybermen used a ring modulator, and that Classic era Galactica Cylons seemingly used a vocoder.   I'm not sure how Glados (Half-life) was done, but the intonation contor(?) is not naturalistic."Oh, HelLO, itS You AGaiN!"  However in some UK Sci-Fi shows, the robots are speaking a natural sounding  sterotyped British RP, albiet pitched ever so slightly higher than normal..Example:  "Oh really.. I don't think that would be possible at all, Sir"

Getting back to some other thoughts on biological "voices" (these are all HIGHLY speculative)

Human speech (at least in English) doesn't have a teeth grinding component in it's phonemes, but if modelling speculative speech for other biological species this may need to be considered ( seem my thoughts on Insects below).

Avian  (i.e birds) would have a beak component, in addition to a throat... I'm not sure if this would be directly comparable to adding an overly scaled nose though.

Insectoid -   (Highly Speculative)  - Insect (audio) speech in some examples I once considered informally could be depending on the type could consist of
1. Pure Tone, albiet very high pitched,  The insectoid effectivly singing in a pure tone at very high pitch ( maybe ultrasound?), but slowed done so Humans could understand it.) -  Examples

2. Clicks, or rasping , Caused by moving mouth parts.....

3. Drone....    This component may be caused by  high speed movement of part of the body or an interefence pattern set up by vents for air and so on.
( This is the sawtooth/noise sound you hear when  a bee comes close to your ear etc.)

Not surprisingly,  the best approximation I thought of for a Bee like "voice" was the output from a not very advanced 80's speech add-on called the Currah Microspeech, extending the end of certain of the z,s,sh,ch (fricatives?)  giving  the output an 'buzzy'  quality...

A sample phrase in a sci-fi audio drama with bees might be "Yooou hasss beeen iinviiiteeed, yooou wiiil meeet thhheee quuueeen, oooonccceee yooouu hasss beeen trrraaansssiiitionnnneeddd. Yooou wwwilll  preeepaaaiiiirrr fffoor trrraaansssiitiiiooon" (English: You have been invited, you will meet the queen, once you have been transitioned. You will prepare for transition." with the intonation countor emphasing certain vowel frequncies and extended fricatives. In this instance the specific context is to build a sense of some fearful act to occur.

 Unlike human speech some fricatives(?) may be a sawtooth sound rather than noise.. (Hmm... maybe you could have "bee" speech where the drone level indicates the urgency of the speaker? -  This suggests a more general thought that maybe looking at how speech rythm changed with urgency is something to look at in respect of 'dramatic' speech generation.)

Most bees would be female sounding, but in audio-drama  attempting to do a "special voice"  they may be  pitched wrongly (Some reasearch on actual bees sugsted they 'spoke' at around alto pitch) .

I'm not sure how you might do reptilian or snake-like creatures... Maybe by extending the fricatives and vowels as with an insectoid, but with a different intonation countor. Snakes would be "noisy"  rather than an insects sawtooth drone...

Moving into the realm of mythological creatures... (albeit human-ish  ones for now) - again speculative, and mostly noting the trope styles used in various Radio/TV/film.

Jinn/Genie -  Convention seems to vary, sometimes they have a definite Arab dialect, and in others not, sometimes they have a very deep Bassed pitching..An example line known to most people that have seen British pantos is :- "(flashbang) Al-A-din! I AM the GENIE of the LAMP! "

Leprachauns -  Convention seems to be that these are  high pitched but not quite child-like Irish dialect.. "Well then , You''ll be not getting, me pot 'o gold!"

Elves -   Tolkein-like elves, speak like humans, allbiet the pitching may be a tad higher..  Tolkein wrote extensively about Elvish in both the Appendices to Lord of the Rings and in other works published since. ( Of constructed languages, Quenya probably has enough information on it's phonology for someone to make a plausible elvish voice in my view.)

Fairies - These vary considerably,   Some are very human like, perhaps with a very slightly upward pitching  (Oberon and Titania in Shakespeare come to mind).

I can probably think of more (or related aspects to ones mentioned)  if anyone is interested in discussing this in more depth seriously.

Alex Farlie.