gnuspeech-contact

Re: [gnuspeech-contact] GnuspeechSA 0.1.6

From: David Roderic Hill
Subject: Re: [gnuspeech-contact] GnuspeechSA 0.1.6
Date: Sun, 7 May 2017 00:24:18 +0000

Hi Felipe,

Thank you for your comment on Gnuspeech.

To have Gnuspeech speak Portugese requires a significant amount of work. First
Monet has to have the ability to save and retrieve database files implemented
(should be pretty straightforward). Then you have to characterise the basic
postures of Portugese in terms of the tube radii and test them. Then you need
to create models of Portugese intonation and rhythm and test them. Has anyone
worked on the rhythm and intonation of Portugese? Finally you have to create a
pronouncing dictionary, orthography-to-postures, for Portugese, with a method
of using the dictionary to get the pronunciation of derivative words from the
ones actually in the dictionary, and a pre-parser to deal with standard items
like dates and numbers to ensure that they are converted into a normal
pronounceable form. Finally you need a set of letter-to-sound rules for
Portugese in case there are words that are not found in the dictionary or
obtained by the derivative procedures.

Monat was designed to support such work, and it is what we used to create the
databases for English

Similar steps are required to create the databases for any additional language
that you want Gnuspeech to speak. There are precompiled manuals Monet and TRAcT
manuals on my university website give insight into what we did:

http://pages.cpsc.ucalgary.ca

The Latex source files for the manuals are on the Gnuspeech project FSF site.
The illustrations use the Mac OSX version where screen shots are used. It took
three of us rather less than a year to go from having no tools, to having
created the tools, and used them to create the databases and a working system.

All good wishes.

david
-------
David R. Hill