NSTextView actions

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: NSTextView actions
Date: Sun, 02 Feb 2003 17:49:49 +0100

Hi Alexander,

you are making great progress with the new text system. Still there is a lot to do and test. Have you ever used the Ink example to display any bigger RTF files? There you can see that the new code to format text is a lot (factor 10 I would say) slower than the old one, which never was very fast. As this was the biggest problem with the old code all of us should have a go on performance as soon as you consider the new text system as feature complete. I did some measurements (see my old mail on profiling) and it looks like GSLayoutManager_run_for_glyph_index uses up most of the time. Skip lists are normally a rather fast, so there might be another problem here. Another place for improvements would be the linear seach inside of the line fragments (and text containers, but this to a lesser extend).

Also some of your cation methods look plain wrong to me. For the ligatur and kering methods you don't call beginEdit and EndEdit on the text storage. That way the layout manager would not hear about that changes. We don't use this methods in the moment, but still it should be corrected. I don't want to touch any code here myself, as this might disturb your work.

Cheers
Fred