Re: [RFC/gdl2] Postgres Adaptor

From: Manuel Guesdon
Subject: Re: [RFC/gdl2] Postgres Adaptor
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 10:10:25 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 01:12:47 +0200 David Ayers <address@hidden> wrote:
 >| I've been testing with PostgreSQL 7.2.3 lately.  But our
 >| "Postegres95Adaptor" currently relies on features introduced with 7.3,
 >| like the CASCADE in the DROP TABLE statement in the schema generation
 >| and the structure of the pg_tabels system table.  I've locally added a
 >| version ivar to Postegres95AdaptorChannel, and runs a SELECT VERSION()
 >| upon openChannel, parses the output to retrieve the version so that the
 >| channel cen support server version specific implementations.
 >|
 >| Yet in other places like Postgres95SQLExpression
 >| +dropTableStatementForEntityGroup: it seems kind of over kill to try to
 >| connect to the database with the modelGroup's model's
 >| connectionDictionary, just to find out whether we  need the CASCADE or
 >| whether we have to omit it, but it seems necessary.
 >|
 >| I was flirting with the idea of only supporting the 7.3 version, but as
 >| many GNU/Linus distros are still shipping with 7.2 this seems like a bad
 >| idea.
 >|
 >| I'd like to know what other people think.  Should we start adding
 >| runtime checks on the Server version?  (We can't rely on configury as
 >| the Client API is independent of these server features, but we might
 >| have to take that into account also)
 >|
 >| If so which Versions should we "officially" support?

If 7.3 dependencies are 'only' in schema generation, I think we can support
only v >=7.3
Alt method is to use version entry of the connection directory
        connectionDictionary =
                                {
                                        databaseVersion = "7.2";
                                        databaseName =XXX;
                                        databaseServer = XXX;
                                        userName =XX;
                                        password =XXX;
                                        primaryKeySequenceNameFormat =
"eoseq_%@";
                                };

Manuel
Manuel Guesdon - OXYMIUM <address@hidden>
14 rue Jean-Baptiste Clement  -  93200 Saint-Denis  -  France
Tel: +33 1 4940 0999  -  Fax: +33 1 4940 0998