Re: gnustep release numbers

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: gnustep release numbers
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2006 22:51:15 +0100

On 4 Oct 2006, at 21:45, Hubert Chan wrote:

On Wed, 4 Oct 2006 21:28:49 +0200, Helge Hess <address@hidden> said:

On Oct 4, 2006, at 18:42, Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:
Note: by 'unstable' I don't mean that the code itself is buggy but
that the ABI is unstable.
Fair enough ... that's your definition ... but it's rather an unusual
one.

Really? I think thats the term usually used by OpenSource
projects. But anyway ;-)

Stability is an inherent requirement for Linux distributions because
they can't change the ABI constantly. Which makes it a cycle of ~2
years for all (serious) distributions. But at least 12 months.
Yes, I agree.  Having the ABI change frequently is a challenge for the
Debian packaging team, since it means that every time a new GNUstep
release is made, we have to recompile all our packages.

Is there any reason we need to change the ABI all the time?

(AFAIK, glib/gtk+ hasn't changed their ABI since glib/gtk+ 2.0 was
released, so any old program that was compiled back then will still run
on a newer system.)

There is a tension between those who ask for more frequent releases (because they want new features) and those who ask for less frequent releases because they have some issue with keeping multiple releases on disk (you never need to recompile programs for a new release if you keep the old libraries ... that's what library versioning is for).

I think we are trying to make more frequent releases than we used to ... eg once every six months, because (unscientific estimate) there seem to be more complaints about there being too few releases than about there being too many.

Actually, my sympathy with either complaint is limited ...
People who complain about too few releases always have the option of using SVN trunk or snapshots with very little extra work required. People who complain about too many releases can always keep multiple releases on their system or simply skip releases now and then, only upgrading with bugfix releases for the main release they are using.

And as long as the complaints from both groups are roughly equal, we've probably got the actual release rate about right.