Re: Making release of gui 1/13/2007

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Making release of gui 1/13/2007
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 09:20:40 +0000

On 29 Dec 2006, at 08:49, Yen-Ju Chen wrote:

On 12/29/06, Richard Frith-Macdonald <address@hidden> wrote:

My personal preference is for the dual release strategy ... that way
we can publicise ourselves twice as often ...
once for each stable release, with a nice list of bugs fixed, and a
prominent message to encourage packagers to update the distribution
they work with
once for each unstable release, with a list of cool new features, and
a big message to encourage developers to provide bugfixes/patches

 I think the gnustep-base is stable and mature enough to do so,
 but gnustep-gui may not be.
 Many fix to gnustep-gui still break the backward compatibility.
 So my suggestion is to make it happen for gnustep-base first.
 Once everything goes smoothly after a couple cycles,
it will be pretty easy to do the same thing on gnustep-gui and gnustep-back.

Sorry, I think I caused confusion by raising a second issue (maintaining backward abi compatibility) when discussing general release policy. I should have stuck to the point. Yes, it's impractical to attempt to maintain backward compatibility for new releases of the gui any time soon.

However, I don't think that is relevant to a general release policy of maintaining (and publicising) separate stable/bugfix and unstable/ trunk release, and making the stable releases very frequent.