FAM based fswatcher - first try

From: Philippe Roussel
Subject: FAM based fswatcher - first try
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 18:05:01 +0100

Hi all

You will find attached a implementation of fswatcher using the FAM
API. It should link either with FAM (1) or gamin (2), which are
available on different flavors of unix. The goal is to take advantage
of existing facilities and getting rid of timers. FAM and gamin use
kernel helpers to avoid polling when they can.

The code probably has some bugs and I'm not sure I followed exactly
the different notifications semantics but it's a start. I tested it
with GWorkspace and it seems to work well.

Opinions ?

Philippe

NB : fswatcher parameter '--daemon' results in the opposite, or I am
missing something ?

1 - http://oss.sgi.com/projects/fam/
2 - http://www.gnome.org/~veillard/gamin/
--
The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who
don't have it. George Bernard Shaw